The Apple ID account gadget is inflexible and rigid. If you’ve created an account with an Apple-controlled cope with at me.com or mac.com within the outdated days or icloud.com during the last a number of years, you’ll be able to’t trade it. (It’s trivial to change for those who use a third-party e mail cope with.)
What occurs for those who trade your title via marriage, desire, or different causes? Or are bored with (or embarrassed through) an cope with you may have named on your early life and desire a extra sedate incoming mail label? Apple permits you to create aliases. (I first wrote about this in 2019, and the stairs have modified with Apple’s relaunch of iCloud.com remaining 12 months.)
As an alternative of forsaking your Apple ID, you’ll be able to upload a brand new cope with and make some adjustments at iCloud.com and along with your iPhone, iPad, Mac, and different e mail shoppers to start out the use of that new cope with. You’ll additionally obtain and ship emails from more than one aliases, too.
- Time to finish: 5 mins
- Equipment required: Apple ID login
- Fabrics required: iCloud account
Click on the grid icon within the upper-right nook and click on Mail.
iCloud Mail Personal tastes
Click on the tools icon on the best of the left-hand sidebar above the Mailboxes label after which make a choice Personal tastes.
iCloud Mail accounts
Upload Mail Alias
- Click on “Upload an alias” (you’ll be able to upload as much as 3 overall).
- Pick out a reputation for the alias, assign a complete title that displays in messages despatched, and label it if that’s helpful.
- Click on Upload. iCloud.com will inform you if an e mail cope with is already in use and thus unavailable. If this is the case, you’ll wish to create a brand new title. If it’s to be had, it’ll seem on your account.
How one can use an alias as your default cope with
Apple displays aliases as though they simply paintings because the account title plus
@icloud.com. On the other hand, with my account–which dates to the Pleistocene technology, or no less than the dotMac and MobileMe days–I used to be ready to additionally use
@me.com with the similar account title. You’ll see which of them paintings along with your account in the next move—each and every area is proven as a separate popup possibility for a default cope with.
To make use of this new cope with as your default go back:
- At iCloud.com, move to tools icon > Personal tastes > Composing and make a choice the alias below “Set default cope with.”
- In iOS/iPadOS, you’ll be able to’t set a default From instead of the main iCloud account title. When composing a message in Mail, faucet the From box, then press and hang to make a choice your most well-liked From cope with.
- In macOS, move to the Mail app and make a choice Mail > Personal tastes > Accounts > iCloud. From the E mail Deal with popup box you’ll be able to make a selection any iCloud alias.
This Mac 911 article is based on a query submitted through Macworld reader Whitney.
Ask Mac 911
We’ve compiled a listing of the questions we get requested maximum often, at the side of solutions and hyperlinks to columns: read our super FAQ to peer in case your query is roofed. If no longer, we’re all the time in search of new issues to unravel! E mail yours to firstname.lastname@example.org, together with display captures as suitable and whether or not you need your complete title used. Now not each and every query shall be responded, we don’t respond to e mail, and we can’t supply direct troubleshooting recommendation.